A List of Ancient and National Monuments in the County of Cork
by Robert Cochrane
Originally printed in 1913, A List of Ancient and National Monuments in the County of Cork was the first attempt to publish a county wide list of archaeological sites in Ireland. Its author, Robert Cochrane, was principal surveyor with the Board of Works and later Ireland’s Inspector of Ancient and National Monuments. In the early 1900s he combined his love of antiquities with his official position and his professional skills to produce beautifully illustrated annual reports of the Board of Works sites. This included six sites in County Cork – St. Keiran’s Church (Cape Clear), Sherkin Island Friary, Timoleague Friary, Kilcrea Friary, Buttevant Friary and St. Molaga’s Church. He later combined this work with a list of other monuments in Cork, such as ogham stones, cromlechs, round towers, and a list of castles in the county to produce this volume. This reproduction of Cochrane’s work is a full reprint of the original.
It is now available to purchase in bookshops throughout Cork. To purchase online from TheBookShop.ie click here, or to purchase directly from Coolim Books click here.
Some illustrations from Corchrane’s work